This article will cover the process of preparing Google Workspace for HCP integration, during the process you will configure the following:
- Create New Project
- Configure Project Authorization
- Global Calendar Sharing
- Create & Configure Resource Calendars
Create New Project
- The first step in the process is to create a new project for the integration between HCP and Google Workspace, to do so navigate to Google Cloud Platform and log in using your Google Domain Admin
- Click Create Project
- Enter a name for your project and click Create
- A notification should appear in the notification area when the project is created
- Click on the notification to reach the API Manager, or otherwise, you can go to Menu Icon > API Manager > Dashboard
- Click on Enable APIs and Services
- The API Library will appear, search for “Google Calendar API”, Select Google Calendar API and click Enable
- Repeat the previous step adding and enabling “Gmail API”
- Enable the last needed API “Admin SDK” for the project
- Now you need to create a service account, click on the Menu Icon, select IAM & Admin, then select Service Account
- Click Create Service Account, fill in the Name, ID and the Description and click Create
- Assign the service account the Role “Service Account Token Creator” from the drop-down menu and click Next
- Click on Done, the Service account should be ready in the list of service accounts, press “Manage Details” to collect the needed info and to create a P12 key
Create a P12 key by clicking on keys, then add key och choose P12. Save this key as it will be used for later.
- Now you need to Grant the service account API Access permissions, to do so, navigate to https://admin.google.com and click on Security, select Access and data control and then select API controls
- Select Manage Domain Wide Delegation
- Under the API Clients ID, Add a new client and use your service account Client ID, copy and paste the following strings to OAuth scopes then press Authorize
https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/gmail.send
Create & Configure Resource Calendars
- To configure the global resource sharing and create a new resource, navigate to https://admin.google.com then select “Apps”
- From the Apps page, select Google Workspace then Calendar
- Select External Sharing option, set external sharing options for primary calendars to "only free/busy information"
- The next step is to Create one or more calendar resources, to do so, navigate to “Resources”, if you already have resources configured, you can skip the following steps and move to install the HCP.
- Click “Create a new resource” create building then create rooms
- Add the details for your resource and then "Add Resource".
- Go to https://www.google.com/calendar and in the calendar side menu under "Other calendars" press the + icon and browse for your newly created Resource and click the check box icon.
- Select the newly created resource calendar from the list and select the menu icon, then “Settings and Sharing”
- Make sure to add the service account which will has settings of show free/busy, and the users “Make Changes to Events”.
- Note: If you require PIN or RFID authentication to book you will need to add the users that can book ith "Make Changes to Events" access.
- Repeat the previous step for all resources in the project.