This article will cover the process of preparing Google Workspace for HCP integration and during the process you will configure the following:
- Create New Project
- Configure Project Authorization
- Global Calendar Sharing
- Create & Configure Resource Calendars
Create New Project
- The first step in the process is to create a new project for the integration between HCP and Google Workspace. To do so navigate to Google Cloud Platform and log in using your Google Domain Admin
- Click Create Project
- Enter a name for your project and click Create
- A notification should appear in the notification area when the project is created
- Click on the notification to reach the API Manager or go to Menu Icon > API & Services > Dashboard
- Click on Enable APIs and Services
- The API Library will appear, search for “Google Calendar API”, Select Google Calendar API and click Enable
- Repeat the previous step adding and enabling “Gmail API”
- Enable the last needed API “Admin SDK API” for the project
- Now you need to create a service account. Click on the Menu Icon, select IAM & Admin, then select Service Accounts
- Click Create Service Account. Fill in the Name, ID and the Description and click Create And Continue
- Assign the service account the Role “Service Account Token Creator” from the drop-down menu and click Continue
- Click on Done. The Service account should be ready in the list of service accounts. Press “Manage Details” to collect the needed info and to create a P12 key
Create a P12 key by clicking on keys, then add key och choose P12. Save this key as it will be used for later.
- Take a note of the “Client ID” and the service account email address as they will be needed in later steps.
- Now you need to Grant the service account API Access permissions, to do so, navigate to https://admin.google.com and click on Security, select Access and data control and then select API controls
- Select Manage Domain Wide Delegation
- Under the API Clients ID, Add a new client and use your service account Client ID. Copy and paste the following strings to OAuth scopes then press Authorize
https://www.googleapis.com/auth/admin.directory.user.readonly, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/calendar, https://www.googleapis.com/auth/gmail.send
Create & Configure Resource Calendars
- To configure the global resource sharing and create a new resource, navigate to https://admin.google.com . Select Apps and then Calendar
- Select External Sharing option, then set external sharing options for primary calendars to "only free/busy information (hide events details)"
- The next step is to Create one or more calendar resource.To do so, navigate to “Directory > Buildings and resources > Manage resources”
- Click “Create a new resource” create building then create rooms
- Add the details for your resource and then "Add Resource"
- Go to https://www.google.com/calendar and in the calendar side menu next to "Other calendars" press the + icon and browse for your newly created Resource and click the check box icon
- Select the newly created resource calendar from "My Calendar list" and select the menu icon, then “Settings and Sharing”
- Make sure to add the service account which will has settings of show free/busy.
- Note: If you require PIN or RFID authentication to book you will need to add the users that can book with the permission "Make Changes to Events"
- Repeat the previous step for all resources in the project.